20 April 2010

aerophobia

Alright, I'm getting close to my first plane trip. Thursday. Just over 48 hours from now, I will be arriving at the airport. Then departing. In a plane. A flying machine. That will fly impossibly high up in the sky. For almost three hours.

I'm starting to (finally) feel some real nervousness. Part of my problem is that I can't really imagine flying. Sure, I've seen it in movies, on TV, I hear of people doing it, but never having done it, it is hard for me to really imagine what it will be like. As I'm unable to truly imagine it, it is hard for me to know how I will feel. I'm not freaking out about it, at all, really. Now. But I won't know what it is like, of course, until I do it. That makes me nervous. So either I will be in the middle of it and feel fine and be relieved. Or I could get in the air and experience a horror usually reserved for Lovecraft characters when they face some monster or awful reality that so terrifies them that they are driven insane.

There's probably a middle in there somewhere too.

No comments:

Post a Comment